Monday 6 June 2011

I wouldn't mind, but ....

.... I think I saw the beginning of the end in Marks & Spencer today. There I was in their Paddington station branch gathering my pomegranate seeds and blueberries, when I happened upon the decline of civilisation.  I was stopped in my tracks, my wire basket buckled and my pomegranate juiced.  There, on the top shelf, were glasses of wine (red and white).  Plastic glasses of wine with a pull-off lid.  At first I thought they were jellies, but I shook one and it moved.  Is this the new lunchtime must-have?  If so, I'm destined for a life of billy-no-mates at lunchtime as I sit in the corner with my cup of builders' tea, while all the cool workers are peeling back their lids and knocking back the lambrusco. 

Still in shock, I headed for home to mind-map my strategy to save mankind.  En route, I opened my copy of 'The Times'.  And there, in print, was news of the Candwich - a sandwich in a can.  A sandwich in a can!  They have a shelf-life of 12 months and come in flavours such as 'pepperoni pizza'.  At first I thought the end was here sooner than I expected, but then I got to thinking.  If the wine-in-a-glass takes off, then I can hide in Epping Forest with a supply of Candwiches.  I won't need any electricity and I can resurface smelling of pepperoni pizza when nearly everyone's died of alcoholic poisoning.  If anyone's still alive, I could be the new Eve (or call me Domino).  Granted, I'm a bit on the old side, but if the survivors are drunk, they won't notice. Everyone's happy.  So back off, the Candwiches are mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment